Have you been day-dreaming about quitting your full-time job and making the leap to freelance? It’s a huge temptation for many of us and could be the right move. However, you first need to consider some crucial factors before doubling down on your side-hustle. One of the greatest curiosities we have as consultants and aspiring independents is the big existential question: “when do I start freelancing full-time?” It’s a timely concern — a recent study by Upwork and Freelancers Union found that nearly 54 million Americans as of 2015 call themselves freelancers and 50 percent of that total has no...Read More
Author: Ben Shanbrom
Pricing your work and effectively explaining your value to clients can be very stressful tasks for independent contractors. In reality, the emotional stakes are often not as high as we may feel. By mapping out your value, understanding your clients’ motivations and tailoring your billing methods to project demands, you can maximize your chances for success when negotiating your freelance rate and eliminate much of the anxiety and double-guessing that paralyze many independents. According to Ted Leonhardt, creative talent coach and founder of the Leonhardt Group, creatives, who make up a vast portion of the modern gig economy, are especially...Read More
Email etiquette and professional communication skills are simply unavoidable when consulting and working online. Whether you crank out two-thousand word feature articles or hundreds of lines of code, chances are, as an independent consultant with a big network of clients and associates, you need to correspond with quite a few people on a regular basis, almost all of whom would appreciate you knowing how to write a decent email! Electronic communication skills are also doubly important for new freelancers who are eager to avoid shooting themselves repeatedly in the foot. In this piece we’ll lay out five key strategies...Read More
1099 Insider Club Content
- You Can Do It! Get Freelance Writing Jobs For Beginners In Just Weeks
- A Freelance Children’s Book Illustrator Shares Her Inspiration
- Brand Communication For Freelancers – A Cut-Throat Copywriter Shares Her Insights
- How to Be More Productive With Your Accountability Group
- The Email List Builder: A Lead Capture Strategy That Works!
- Communication Breakdown? Nail Working with a Remote Team!
- Freelance Finances: Manage Your Income Like A Thriving Artist
- Why You Need to Find a Mastermind Group (And How to Do It)
- The Value Pricing Mindset: 4 Questions to Reveal Your Client Value